Why STREAT exists
Every night in Australia over 105,000 people are homeless.
26,000 are young people aged 12-24.
The impact on these young people is traumatic, with:
- The majority leaving school before Year 10 with no formal education
- Almost 60% being destined for long-term unemployment
- Their average life expectancy crashing to 47 years (normally 85 years)
The current cost of a young person remaining homeless across their life is over $700,000.
STREAT believes large intractable social problems like youth homelessness and disadvantage need a creative, large-scale response. All of our commercial activities are dedicated to generating funds to address these issues.
We combine wrap‐around social support with industry training and work experience in our cafes. We offer customers delicious coffee and meals. Ultimately, we provide trainees with work and life skills. That’s why STREAT exists.
To stop youth homelessness and disadvantage, one mouthful at a time.
Youth homelessness and disadvantage are hard to swallow. That's why STREAT works with others like you to stop it, one mouthful at a time. Together we offer disadvantaged youth aged 16 to 25 a supported pathway from the street to a sustainable livelihood.
10 YEAR GOAL:
One meal, one life. We're striving to help a young person every single mealtime. That's three people each day, or 1095 each year. So we are getting cooking!
THE SUPPORT WE OFFER:
We want our youth thriving in all parts of their lives and help them build a stable life – by building a stable self, stable job and stable home.
- STABLE SELF - we provide wrap-around support including individual case management, linkages to other specialist service providers as needed (drug and alcohol, mental health, housing services), group life skills programs, and creative and social activities.
- STABLE JOB - we provide a range of hospitality programs including accredited certificate courses, work experience programs, and short courses. We also provide workplace training and mentoring for each young person across STREAT's inner Melbourne cafes and production kitchen. Being a Social Enterprise, STREAT reinvests 100% of its cafe profits back into supporting and training youth.
- STABLE HOME - we work towards our youth having a safe and long term place to live through partnerships with a wide range of Melbourne's housing services.
- Discover - We believe in lifelong learning and discovery
- Create - We tackle problems with imagination and passion
- Nourish - Our meals nourish both our customers and youth
- Connect - We bring ideas, individuals and communities together
- Voice - We speak up
- Sustain - We strive for sustainability in all our activities.
STREAT is a registered Australian charity with Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) status with all donations over $2 being tax deductible.
To date we've had....
- 238 youth in our programs
- 750,000 meals and coffees served
- 6,200 days of training offered
- 60% youth retention in our programs
- 90% of those in our intensive programs have improved their wellbeing
- 80% of those from our intensive programs are employed or in further training
- 95% of those in our intensive programs have improved their housing status
- 67% of our funds generated through our businesses
- 90% Urbanspoon average rating across our main cafes
We've had over 5,000 Pay It Forward cards completed by customers enabling over 5,000 free coffees and 500 free meals to be given to homeless people.
- Youth Programs
- Get Involved
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Buy a STREAT T-shirt