Our programs are open to young people aged 16 to 25 who are:
- homeless, or at risk of homelessness;
- socially isolated and/or marginalised;
- are exiting, or have recently exited remand;
- have a mental health diagnosis and are in need of a supportive learning and work experience environment;
- have recently left a detox or rehab facility and are in need of a supportive learning and work experience environment.
Asking STREAT to host a Taster for your young people is as easy as filling out the application form below (see "Download an application" after this section). Once we receive your application, we'll give you a call to discuss it.
STREAT only hosts Tasters on the first Thursday of every month, and unfortunately we're not able to change those dates. Tasters are free and are aimed at giving groups of a young people a 'taste' of some of the different professions available to them in the hospitality industry. The workshops take place in our coffee roastery, production kitchen and bakery and involve staff from a lot of different parts of our business. Scheduling all of that can be difficult, so we set a regular day once a month to make it work for everyone.
Entree, Main Course and Dessert
Joining Entree or Main Course is pretty straight forward. The first step is to download an application. You can find them below. Once you've downloaded the appropriate form and printed it out, fill in the form, scan it and e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Unfortunately, we don't have a fax, because... 21st Century. :) If you're not too great with technology or don't have a scanner, you can mail the form to 66 Cromwell Street, Collingwood 3066.
Once we receive your application, we action it as soon as we see it. That means we give you a call to set up a time to meet you. At that meeting we'll do an intake. The intake takes about an hour, because we need to collect a bit of information about you and we want to get to know you. That intake meeting is also your chance to "suss" us out. You need to feel comfortable with us.
During intake you'll sit down with one of our Youth Programs Coordiantors over a free coffee (or hot chocolate or chai) and talk. We'll ask you a bunch of questions and you can ask us a bunch too.
Following intake, we'll discuss your application at a team meeting and then give you a call to set a start date.
Acceptance into Entree depends on our waitlist. We try to get people started straight away, but Entree is really popular so now and again people might have to wait for a couple of weeks.
Acceptance into Main Course depends on the time of the year. Our next Main Course program will start at the end of August (2017).
Download an application
- ‘Tasters’ – a two-hour program that's an introduction to STREAT and the hospitality industry. Tasters let young people experience our coffee roastery, bakery, production kitchen and our cafe/restaraunt. tasters.pdf
- ‘Entree’ – for people wanting to access hospitality focused work experience or to give STREAT a try before committing to a longer program. This is a really flexible program that is suited to young people who aren't quite ready to commit to a large program, or who might still be at school. entree-main_course-dessert.pdf
- ‘Main Course’ – a fully supported program which includes on-the-job training and mentoring, a Life Skills program, units of competency toward a Certificate III in Commercial Cookery, creative and social engagement activities, and individual case support (including linkages to specialist service providers). entree-main_course-dessert.pdf
- 'Dessert' – a creative expression and arts program. During this program young people work with a range of creative professionals to explore their creativity and tell their stories. entree-main_course-dessert.pdf
For more information call the Youth Programs team on (03) 9629 4222 or email email@example.com.